Flame Music Group at Sturry Church
Flame meets every Sunday during term-time from 8:45am - 9:15am in Sturry Church to practise music for worship. All musical capabilities and a wide variety of instruments catered for.
Flame Music Group at Sturry Church - Christmas 2009
In Autumn 2012 Flame comprises of;
- Tenor Horn
- Percussion - (drums, chimes, xylophone, triangle, cymbals)
Interested in joining Flame?
Since Flame first started in 2001 many people in the congregation have started learning new instruments, with some now accomplished musicians. As experienced members move on to University or elsewhere we welcome all ages and abilities.
The criteria? Nothing, provided you enjoy playing music!
We can cater for complete beginners on most instruments in any key and clef - to ensure there is music that you can play, please email email@example.com beforehand. Otherwise just turn up at Sturry church at 8:45am for half an hour's practise before the service.
We play in nearly every service - normally in one of the first hymns, to allow the younger members to join their youth groups whilst the adults and elder teenagers stay in. Occasionally, a few members of Flame play a quiet piece of music during the Communion.
In 2012, Flame joined with Sturry Singers to enter the local Eisteddford - together they won first place in the Worship category!
Flame music group continues to encourage people to start learning new instruments. In March 2009 the group included a string section (violins and cello), woodwind (flutes, clarinets, recorders, bassoon and sax), brass (cornet). keyboard and percussion (drums, chimes and xylophone).
Flame photos from 2004
Flame photos from 2003
Flame music group, June 2003
Flame music group, November 2003
playing for the Family Praise service
Flame photos from 2002
|Flame at the Crib Service, December 24th, 2002|
|Flame practising, October 2002|
Flame group practising, October 2002
Flame Open Afternoon, July 2001
Recorders and drums, March 2002
The String section, March 2002
Flame photos from 2001
Flame Open Afternoon : Sunday July 15th 2001
History of music at Sturry Church
Music has always been a strong tradition and an important part of the worship in the Sturry Parish churches.
- In 1790, there was a band of singers which occupied the West Gallery at Sturry church.
- In 1813 a bassoon, bought for 5 guineas, was bought to accompany the fiddles, flutes and violins at Sturry. As of 2007, another bassoonist joined Flame to revive the memories!
- In 1816 an organ was installed in Sturry although it was replaced in 1950 when the present organ was added. The organ at Westbere church during the Victorian times.
- The organ at Fordwich church was installed in 1887 despite being built by a Canterbury craftsman in 1867.
- In 2001 Flame Music Team started rehearsing!
- In 1622, a ring of five bells was cast for Sturry church - the sixth was cast in 1904 - and since then there has always been a dedicated team of bell ringers who practice weekly and perform for various festivals.
- The four bells in the tower at Fordwich church date from 1624 and 1633.
- Early photographs of Westbere church show a square bell tower - now there is a bell cote with a chime of three small bells, cast around 1853.