History of music at Sturry Church

History of music at Sturry Church

Music has always been a strong tradition and an important part of the worship in the Sturry Parish churches.

  • In 1790, there was a band of singers which occupied the West Gallery at Sturry church.
  • In 1813 a bassoon, bought for 5 guineas, was bought to accompany the fiddles, flutes and violins at Sturry. As of 2007, another bassoonist joined Flame to revive the memories!
  • In 1816 an organ was installed in Sturry although it was replaced in 1950 when the present organ was added. The organ at Westbere church during the Victorian times.
  • The organ at Fordwich church was installed in 1887 despite being built by a Canterbury craftsman in 1867.
  • In 2001 Flame Music Team started rehearsing! 
  • In 2012, Flame joined with Sturry Singers to enter the local Eisteddford - together they won first place in the Worship category!

Bells

  • In 1622, a ring of five bells was cast for Sturry church - the sixth was cast in 1904 - and since then there has always been a dedicated team of bell ringers who practice weekly and perform for various festivals. 
  • The four bells in the tower at Fordwich church date from 1624 and 1633.  
  • Early photographs of Westbere church show a square bell tower - now there is a bell cote with a chime of three small bells, cast around 1853.